Mattanchery Palace

(463 Votes)
Route Map | Comments(0)

Mattanchery Palace is located at a distance of 12 km from Ernakulam in Kerala State. Mattanchery palace is one of the oldest examples of the Portuguese architecture with oriental influence and is unique from the historical and architectural point of view.

The palace was built around 1545 AD by the Portuguese and presented to Veera Kerala Varma in order to pacify him and to compensate for having plundered a temple in the vicinity of the place. It underwent major repairs at the hands of Dutch and hence the palace is also known as "Dutch Palace." This two-storied quadrangular building has long and spacious halls. The central courtyard enshrines the tutelary deity of the royal family "Pazhayannur Bhagavathi (the Lord of Pazhayannur)".

There are two more temples dedicated to Lord Krishna and Shiva respectively. The upper story of the palace where the present museum is housed consists of a coronation hall, bed chamber, ladies chamber, dining hall and other rooms. The palace represents the blending of the European and indigenous styles of architecture.

The palace with a Bhagavathi temple in the central courtyard is built like the typical Kerala style mansion - the Nalukettu - the home of the aristocracy, nobility and upper classes, with four separate wings opening out to a central courtyard.

The glory of the palace lies in its mural paintings covering an area of nearly 300 sq.m executed in three phases. The themes depict scenes from Ramayana. Besides puranic legends connected with Shiva, Vishnu, Krishna and Durga. The themes from contemporary literature of Kerala are also depicted here.

The murals in the royal bed chamber depict scenes from Ramayana, a second set of wall paintings were executed in the staircase room depicting various deities. The lower rooms intended for the royal ladies contain line drawings depicting marriage of Parvati with Shiva and the adjoining room has five major panels depicting Krishna Leela and Siva Leela.

The present museum was established in May 1985 housing a variety of exhibits such as portraits of the Cochin Kings, palanquins, dresses, weapons, three royal umbrellas, canopy, dolis, swords, stamps and coins etc. The life-size portraits of the kings of Cochin from 1864 onwards are displayed in a long hall originally served as coronation hall. The weapons on display are sheathed swords, daggers and axes besides ceremonial spears decorated with feathers. There are in total five palanquins including doli in display in three different galleries. Of this, the most important one is the ivory palanquin made of wood laminated with ivory.

The ceremonial dress of the kings with intricate lace work in golden thread woven into them is in display. Also in display are royal caps worn by the Cochin kings. The coins issued by the kings of Cochin and postal stamps are exhibited besides important plans of Cochin drawn by the Dutch in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Visiting Time: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on all days except Fridays.

How to reach:

There are frequent bus and boat services to Mattancherry. The boats start from Main Boat Jetty near Subash Park at Ernakulam town.

Nearest Bus Station: Fort Kochi Bus Terminal

Nearest Railway Station: Ernakulam, about 10 km.

Nearest Airport: Cochin International Airport, about 20 km from Ernakulam town.

 

Nearest Destinations
Bolgatty Palace
Fort Kochi
Hill Palace Museum
Marine Drive, Kochi

 

Route Map

To get route map, enter the location in field "Start" and click the button "Get Direction!".
Start: End:

Map

   Directions

 

  

Add comment

Name *
E-mail *
Phone
Comments* 
Photo